What, When, Where?
- What: the first Academic Senate Meeting of the year!
- When: Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2016, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. or until we finish… whichever comes first. Arrive early: Annual Senate photoshoot at 2:15 pm; Community Time (food! conversation!) starts at 2 pm.
- Where: 1908 Smith, MVS Decision Making Center
Can’t make it?
If you’re teaching or otherwise know you won’t be attending Senate this semester, please help us make quorum by “opting out” of Senate. Send an email to Dave Daniels with the title “F’16 Senate opt out” and we’ll take it from there.
As always, you’ll find the full agenda and supporting documents via our Senate page.
Following reports from the president, the interim provost, and others with subjects of interest to faculty, we’ll discuss a proposal for an Online Liberal Studies Degree Completion Program. This proposal is included in the materials: prepare your comments and questions!
Two other items are included in the materials yet do not appear on the agenda:
- The Fiscal Policies Committee (AY15-16 version) is seeking feedback for their S’16 recommendations draft. A final version may appear later this semester as a proposed Senate Resolution: help them by providing feedback now, via this link. (The recommendations draft is embedded in this link as well.)
- The CSU Chancellor has asked campuses to engage in robust discussion of the report of the CSU Task Force on the Advancement of Ethnic Studies. Senate Exec expects that this discussion will involve many campus constituencies, including some Senate committees. You might be interested in the report: we hereby make it available to you.
Chair “Office Hour”
There are more perspectives, questions, thoughts to ponder, and great ideas out there than our Community (Half) Hours, Senate meeting times, and campus email processes could ever capture. I invite you to join me for coffee (or EABs) on non-Senate/ non-Senate Exec-Tuesdays as your schedules and time permit. I’ll announce a (shifting) time and location each time I post a newsletter. Ideally you’ll do most of the talking and I’ll listen… First iteration: Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2:30 – 3:30 outside the SUB.
I’ll try to post things that may strike a chord with many faculty. (First planned post: a revision of the faculty structure and summary of service opportunities I shared at Convocation.) I’d love it if you would share your thoughts in the comments, volunteer to guest-blog, etc.
Newsletter #1: last word